Sunday, September 23, 2018

Israeli soldiers raid al Aqsa compound


By Naomi Kundera - August 05, 2018
TAGS:
Section: [Main News]
Tags: [al-Aqsa] [Jerusalem]

Friday, July 27, Israeli soldiers raided al-Haram al-Sharif - the garden compound containing the Dome of the Rock and al Aqsa mosque - in Jerusalem, firing tear gas and stun grenades at worshippers.

At least 24 arrests were reportedly made inside al Aqsa mosque in what the soldiers claimed to be a pursuit of Palestinian youths throwing stones and launching fireworks.
 
Videos posted by Quds News on Twitter showed dozens of people fleeing the compound as the Israeli military launched multiple stun grenades one after another. At least 15 Palestinians were injured, included three mosque guards, during the chaos.
 
Firas al-Dibs, a spokesman for al-Waqf, Jerusalem's Religious Endowments Authority, told Al Jazeera that Israeli authorities chained the doors of Al Aqsa and prevented anyone from entering.
 
A five-hour standoff ensued at the entrance of the closed mosque. People were told to evacuate and when they refused, Israeli authorities closed the four main entrances to the compound. No one was allowed in or out as the soldiers attacked the fleeing people.
 
The clashes in front of the mosque coincides with the anniversary of Al Aqsa protests that took place in July of last year.
 
After the implementation of metal detectors and increased security measures at the entrance of al-Haram al-Sharif, both Fatah and Hamas parties of the Palestinian Authority called for a boycott of the holy site in fear of an Israeli takeover.
 
At least 50 Palestinians were injured in clashes as Israeli soldiers retaliated against worshippers again with tear gas, stun grenades, and rubber bullets.
 
Last Sunday, July 22, more than 1,400 Jewish settlers entered al Aqsa compound.
 
Known to them as the Temple Mount, the settlers entered the compound to mark Tisha Be’av, the day of mourning for the destruction of the First and Second Jewish Temples as noted in the Hebrew Bible.
 
Also earlier this month, Netanyahu decided to allow Knesset members to enter al Aqsa mosque every three months.
 
These two developments surrounding al-Haram al-Sharif are seen as direct provocations to Palestinians and Jordanians alike.
 
The Jordanian embassy in Tel Aviv wrote a formal letter to the Israeli foreign ministry condemning the entrance of Jewish settlers into al-Haram al-Sharif.
 
The Jordanian government spokesperson, Jumana Ghunaimat, publicly announced that the visit of Jews to the holy site “violates the sanctity of this holy place, provokes sentiments of worshipers and Muslims all over the world, and constitutes a violation of Israel’s obligations as an occupying power under international and international humanitarian laws.”

Back to Top

Related Articles

Belgium ends funding for Palestinian schools
September 19, 2018

Trump administration revoke visas of PLO envoyís family
September 19, 2018

WHO and EU strengthen trauma care services in Gaza
September 19, 2018

Most Popular Articles

Israelís puppet war unmasks apartheid regime
The El-Hakawati theatre was colorfully adorned to host its annual International

Israel Avoids Hard-Right Shift: No Benefit for Palestinians
With many commentators predicting big wins for the settler movement in

Rushdi Tamimi becomes second victim of Israeli army in Nabi Saleh
On Tuesday November 21st, the body of 31 year old Rushdi Tamimi was

Designed & Developed by: Pixel Co